st: JK replicate weights w/o pweight

From   Ryan Edwards <>
To   <>
Subject   st: JK replicate weights w/o pweight
Date   Sun, 30 Oct 2011 14:29:41 -0400

I've got a public dataset issued by a government agency that contains 100 jackknife replicate weights (fwt1-fwt100) but not an overall probability weight, presumably redacted for privacy concerns.  SAS code from the agency seems to indicate that SAS doesn't care if the probability weight is missing:

proc surveyfreq data=pub;
  repweight fwt1--fwt100;
  tables x1 x2 / alpha=0.1;

But in Stata, while svyset will allow me to skip the probability weight, it will not produce properly-weighted survey statistics:

. svyset , jkrweight(fwt*)
. svy: tab x1

The output is just the unweighted frequencies.

Any ideas? In the Stata 12 manuals, I don't see any examples that match mine, i.e. without an overall probability weight.  I have tested a completely ad hoc workaround, generating the average of all the 100 replicate weights and using that as the overall probability weight, which seems to produce a match to the SAS output.  But I have little idea of whether that's kosher and would guess it's not.  I'd love not to have to learn some SAS;  I'm a Mac user and would have to horse around with a different platform!

Ryan Edwards
Associate Professor of Economics
Queens College and the Graduate Center
City University of New York