st: Data entry into TeX files (other than tables and graphs)

From   Richard Herron <richard.c.herron@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Data entry into TeX files (other than tables and graphs)
Date   Sat, 29 Oct 2011 21:56:40 -0400

Can I save estimate parameters to a text file so that I can enter them
into a TeX file using \input{}? That is, I want to add the number of
observations or regression coefficients -- e(N) or e(b) -- in the text
of a paper without having to cut and paste. (I already know how to add
tables and graphs.)

I can save a specific value to file with -outfile-.

*begin code
sysuse auto, clear
outfile mpg using temp in 1/1, replace noquote
*end code

But I can't save estimate results.

*more code
regress mpg rep78
display e(N)
outfile e(N) using temp2, replace noquote
*end more code

The last line gives the following error.

factor variables and time-series operators not allowed
r(101);

Is there a away to script all data entry into TeX files? Or do I have
to cut and paste? Thanks!