st: Import of Excel files some files are formatted as ¨strings¨ how to change that??

From   Lars Sorensen <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Import of Excel files some files are formatted as ¨strings¨ how to change that??
Date   Sat, 29 Oct 2011 02:37:01 +0000

Hi Statalist

Probably a simple question.

I am quite new to STATA and have just bought the 12. version to MAC. I am very satisfied with the program but have encountered some technical issues when I import Excel files to the program. Some of the columns are imported as ¨strings¨which result in the numbers being red and I cant use them in the analysis. Does anyone know how to convert this format to the ordinary format or how to prevent that some of the data is imported as strings ??

Hope you can help me

Kind Regards

Lars Lindholm Sorensen M.D.
Post. Doct. Fellow