RE: st: moderated mediation logistic outcome

From   Cameron McIntosh <cnm100@hotmail.com>
To   STATA LIST <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: moderated mediation logistic outcome
Date   Fri, 28 Oct 2011 11:37:32 -0400

Tobias,
I don't know about the precise Stata code for estimating a mod-med model, but I would caution you that if you are using a series of logistic regression steps to test for the presence of moderated mediation, you will need to account for the fact that the variance of the outcome depends on the model (and will change across equations as predictors and interactions terms are added) -- all this due to the identification constraint that error = pi-squared/3 = 3.29. This also means that coefficients will be recaled to respect the constraint, and will thus need to be standardized to allow for comparisons across equations. Note that the same issue applies to the probit case with error = 1.0. You may wish to see:
Buis, M.L. (2010). Direct and indirect effects in a logit model. The Stata Journal, 10(1), 11–29.https://teamsite.smu.edu.sg/wiki/stats/Shared%20Documents/Stata%20Journals/2010/sj10-1.pdf
MacKinnon, D. P., & Dwyer, J. H. (1993). Estimating mediated effects in prevention studies. Evaluation Review, 17, 144-158.
MacKinnon, D.P., Lockwood, C.M., Brown, C.H., Wang, W., & Hoffman, J.M. (2007). The intermediate endpoint effect in logistic and probit regression. Clinical Trials, 4(5), 499-513.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2857773/pdf/nihms-173365.pdf
Li, Y, Schneider, J.A., & Bennett, D.A. (2007). Estimation of the mediation effect with a binary mediator. Statistics in Medicine,  26(18), 3398-3414.
Jasti, S., Dudley, W.N., & Goldwater, E. (2008). SAS macros for testing statistical mediation in data with binary mediators or outcomes. Nursing Research, 57(2), 118-122.
Eshima, N., Tabata, M., & Zhi, G. (2001). Path analysis with logistic regression models: effect analysis of fully recursive causal systems of categorical variables. Journal of the Japanese Statistical Society, 31(1), 1-14. http://www.scipress.org/journals/jjss/pdf/3101/31010001.pdf
Huang, B., Sivaganesan, S., Succop, P., & Goodman, E. (2004). Statistical assessment of mediational effects for logistic mediational models. Statistics in Medicine, 23(17), 2713–2728.
Cam