st: Expanding date ranges that are stored as strings

From   Anthony Hong <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Expanding date ranges that are stored as strings
Date   Fri, 28 Oct 2011 00:30:22 -0400

Hi Statalist!

I'm having a bit of a problem.  I'm using the UNU-WIDER dataset which
reports countries and various years.  The problem is that while some
years are recorded as say 1999, 2000, there are some that are recorded
as ranges, for example 1993- 2001.

I would like to take these date ranges and generate individual
observations for each year within the range.  I am unsure how I would
identify parts of the string in order to identify how many
observations to fill in.

Any help would be amazing, thank you Statalist!