RE : st: RE : RE: merging two kernel density graphs into one

From   Wies Kestens <[email protected]>
Subject   RE : st: RE : RE: merging two kernel density graphs into one
Date   Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:20:16 +0000

This is indeed a methodological exercise and is not intended to be a strict or good approximation of reality.
The countries will be weighted by their population but as this is the easier part of the problem, in my opinion,  I won't be needing your assistance and didn't want to bother you with it.

When I pooled all the income data I got a income density that indeed still varied with the bandwidth chosen. However, I don't think this method results in the same income densities as the income densities I would become when I could add up all the individual countries' income densities. However I'm not really sure about that. If the effect of different bandwidths were indeed the same, then my problem would be solved. Can anybody enlighten me on that?

Thanks for your consideration

De : [email protected] [[email protected]] de la part de Nick Cox [[email protected]]
Date d'envoi : mardi 25 octobre 2011 12:06
À : [email protected]
Objet : Re: st: RE : RE: merging two kernel density graphs into one

What you want is clearer, but I wouldn't approach it your way at all.
If you pool income data for all countries, presumably weighting by
population (which you don't mention, but the problem seems meaningless
otherwise), you can then smooth that once to get a single density
curve. Adding the densities of (again presumably hundreds of)
countries, even with weighting, seems unnecessarily complicated by
comparison.

Your statement that -generate()- is limited to producing 10 data
points I think only makes sense in one context, in which that is the
default because you have just 10 data points. But if that is so, I
wouldn't apply density estimation at all. Also, if you are starting
with deciles alone you have already lost much of the detail and it is
optimistic to suppose that kernel density estimation can put it back.
However, as you hint the exercise could become an essay on limitations
of method.

There are people on this list who are top experts in income
distributions who may want to add to this (or subtract from it).

Nick