st: moderated mediation model with panel data

From   Christine Scheef <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: moderated mediation model with panel data
Date   Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:47:44 +0200

Dear STATA users,

I am  trying to fit a moderated mediation model with panel data where the
mediator is at the same time the moderator.
I tried to model it as a two-stage model where A influences B in the first
step. In a second-step, I took the predicted values of B to estimate the
model with the moderation (AxB) on C where A and B also have a direct
influence on C. At the moment, I am using the command xtpcse for
autocorrelated panel data to estimate both steps.
Unfortunately, in the second-step the R-squared decreases when including
the moderation effect (AxB) even though the interaction is highly
significant. I checked all models for multicollinearity, however,
multicollinearity is not an issue.

I have two questions, is it appropriate to model a moderated mediation as
I described above? And how may the decrease in R-squared be explained? Is
R-squared a valid measure when calculating a two-step model?

I would appreciate any advice on the model and how to estimate it
accurately.

Best,
Christine