st: Calculating predicted probabilities at a given value of one of the independent variables

From   Maria Ana Vitorino <vitorino@wharton.upenn.edu>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: Calculating predicted probabilities at a given value of one of the independent variables
Date   Wed, 26 Oct 2011 19:06:07 -0400

Dear Statalist users,

I would like to calculate some predicted probabilities after fitting a multinomial logit model (asclogit). But, the twist is that I would like to calculate these fitted values for a given level of one of the independent variables. Namely, I would like to set one of the Xs to zero when computing the predicted probability (but not in the estimation). What would be the best way of going about this? Would it make sense to do it in 2 steps? In the first step use "predict xb" and in the second step remove the component of xb that I'm not interested and calculate the probability using "gen" and the logit formula?
Or is there a better way?

Any thoughts are appreciated,
Ana