Re: st: Plotting nonparametric reg. line alng with linear prediction line

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: Plotting nonparametric reg. line alng with linear prediction line
Date   Wed, 26 Oct 2011 09:14:19 +0100

-rcspline- from SSC is an example of a scatterplot smoother. (Deep
down, it is just another linear regression, but it is flexible in the
way that most nonparametric enthusiasts seek.) You could combine that
with a linear fit in this way.

. sysuse auto
(1978 Automobile Data)

. rcspline mpg weight, addplot(lfit mpg weight)

. rcspline mpg weight, lcolor(orange) addplot(lfit mpg weight, lcolor(blue))

The line colors are changed in the last example, because with default
defaults (-scheme s2color-) the lines come out as red and green, a
graphic combination better avoided because it is problematic for many
readers. (I use -set scheme s1color-, in my