st: Bar and star indicating between group significans

From   Lars Folkestad <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Bar and star indicating between group significans
Date   Tue, 25 Oct 2011 12:12:21 +0200

Dear list
As a follow up to my earlier question, i was wondering:

if there is a good and easy way to create a bar and star that can idicate  between group significans.

I have created a graph using the:

egen meanV1 = mean(V1)
egen sdV1 = sd(V1)
gen upperV1 = meanV1 + sdV1
gen lowerV1 = meanV1 - sdV1

twoway scatter meanV1 group if group == 1 || rcap upperV1 lowerV2 group if group == 1 || ///
scatter meanV2 group if group == 2 || rcap lowerV2 upperV2 group if group == 2

I would like to indicate that the between group differences seen in the graph is significant. I've read papers where this
Is done using a bar and star line between the two groups in the graph (|----------- * -----------|)

How can i do this in stata without using the graphic editor?