st: reshaping + info from label

From   Abhimanyu Arora <>
Subject   st: reshaping + info from label
Date   Tue, 25 Oct 2011 01:11:18 +0200

Dear statalist
Hope all's fine.
I am trying to reshape data that has the following form---

date variable1ab   variable2cd
1      q                         w
2      e                         r

Assume the variable variable1ab is labelled A B, while variable2cd is
labelled C D (actually strings, though)

Finally I would like the data to be of the following form

date var1 var2 value
1      A    B      q
2      A    B      e
1      C    D      w
2      C    D      r

I feel the solution might lie in the commands -ds- or Nick Cox's
-findname- together with -reshape- but I am just unable to see how.
Any ideas?

Best wishes