st: variable not found?

From   Paul Burkander <paul@burkander.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: variable not found?
Date   Sun, 23 Oct 2011 21:53:45 -0400

Hi all,

I'm trying to help my wife do some stata homework, and we've run into
some odd behavior.

Below is a sample of the data.  She's supposed to do a manova of
MOTIV,ASPIRE,ALGEBRA,GEOM, on GROUP , then mvreg, then test the
restriction that the coefficients on GROUP are zero in all four
equations.  After doing the manova and mvreg, we typed test GROUP, but
receive the error message "GROUP not found."

Any ideas?  Perhaps we're doing something dumb?  She entered the data
by pasting into the data editor.  We're using Stata 11 SE and I just
did a full update.

Thanks, Paul

MOTIV,ASPIRE,ALGEBRA,GEOM,GROUP
74.31,78.57,68.59,78.57,1