st: RE: statalist-digest V4 #4311

From   Mark McCann <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: RE: statalist-digest V4 #4311
Date   Fri, 21 Oct 2011 14:31:11 +0100

Hello all,

                I'm at a loss as to what's happening here. I have checked the help files and statalist, but I just can't make sense of this. My time variable appears to be reading seconds incorrectly, this happened before I added a dummy ":00" seconds onto the string variable, and after (as below). Any ideas on what is happening? I'm using Stata 11 on Windows

gen space=" "
gen seconds=":00"
egen time1=concat(date space time seconds)
gen time2=clock(time1,"DMYhms")
format time2 %tc

Here are the results for the first observation, I've fixed these to stop formatting problems

Date 01/05/2011
Time 00:01
Seconds :00
Time1 [The used variable] 01/05/2011 00:01:00

Time2 [The final variable] 01may2011 00:00:28

Similar errors occur throughout, in some cases rounding up or down would give the wrong result so I can't use a quick fix and ignore the problem!

Any help much appreciated.

                Kind regards,

Research Statistician
Improving Children's Lives