re:RE: re:Re: st: Multiple endogenous regressors

From   Christopher Baum <[email protected]>
Subject   re:RE: re:Re: st: Multiple endogenous regressors
Date   Thu, 20 Oct 2011 21:03:56 -0400

<>
Dan said

I agree with Kit's sentiments, but the way I read Yuval's message in (2) is that Yuval proposes that instead of estimating

ivreg2 y (x1-x5 = z1-z5)

Suppose I only have a 1 instrument, z, and instead propose to estimate:

ivreg2 y (x1 = z)
ivreg2 y (x5 = z)

In this case, each model looks exactly identified, so one can get estimates (of something!).  The problem here is that if the true model includes x1-x5, each model is mis-specified and includes the other 4 endogenous x's in the error term.  If z is correlated with each x1-x5, then z will be correlated with the error in each of the 5 IV regression models.  So, z cannot be a valid instrument for any of the 5 individual structural models.  So, each of the 5 separate TSLS models will give you biased and inconsistent estimates of the include endogenous regressor.

I think it was actually Elizabeth that proposed doing something like that. Naturally I agree with Dan's logic. As I said in my previous posting, if you screw up the specification of the model, then you are very likely to fail a test of overid restrictions (assuming you have some). So even if Elizabeth had two or three  instruments, z1, z2, z3, and ran those five regressions above, Dan's logic would apply.