st: RE: ivreg2 or xtabond2 endogeneity of regressors

From   "Schaffer, Mark E" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: ivreg2 or xtabond2 endogeneity of regressors
Date   Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:33:20 +0100

By "dynamic GMM" I think you probably mean dynamic panel data estimation
a la xtabond, xtabond2, xtdpd, etc.

ivreg2 can do this, but it would be a major hassle because you'd have to
construct all the instrument sets by hand.  Can be done but not a lot of

The easier option is to use xtabond2 (or one of the other estimators)
and do an endogeneity test by hand as a GMM distance test, i.e., a
difference in J stats.  This is discussed briefly in the Baum et al. SJ
papers you cite; if you are looking for a textbook discussion, Hayashi's
(2000) "Econometrics" text covers it.  In a nutshell, the difference
between the J stat with the regressors treated as endogenous, and the J
stat with the regressors treated as exogenous, should be distributed as
chi2 (with dof=number of tested regressors) under the null that the
regressors being tested are exogenous.  The advantage of the ivreg2
implementation is that it uses a version of the test that is guaranteed
to be nonnegative in finite samples, but that's not a big deal.

BTW, you are mistaken about the documentation of the endog option of
ivreg2.  It is discussed in some detail in the Baum et al. (2007) paper.

registered under charity number SC000278.

Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012