RE: st: Twelve commandments

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   RE: st: Twelve commandments
Date   Tue, 18 Oct 2011 18:30:35 +0100

Richard's first statement is consistent with a lot of evidence!

I see the point in Richard's suggestion but it remains true that people should look at the FAQ. The larger point is, as so often emphasised, really to help people help themselves and everybody else.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Richard Williams

At 03:29 AM 10/18/2011, Nick Cox wrote:
>My antennae sense a recent upward drift in questions that are unlikely
>to be answered, or at least answered in the way that members hope. In
>particular, Statalist is _not_ intended as a substitute for reading
>the help and the manual or getting into appropriate literature
>yourself.   Nor is it very likely that active members will be able or
>willing to sketch out an entire data analysis project, as some recent
>postings seem to expect.

When people sign up they get this message about checking the FAQ but
I am sure a lot don't do it. Maybe these "12 commandments" or
something like it could be part of that welcoming statement.