st: RE: RE: i-1 in forvalues loop

From   Viktor Emonds <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: i-1 in forvalues loop
Date   Tue, 18 Oct 2011 17:24:54 +0200

Thanks, dr. Cox, your correction solved the problem. Sorry for bothering you with the second email!

Sorry, Viktor, you're hoping for more than I can promise. I promise only to comment on what Stata problems you raise that I can understand.
I've not tested your code -- manifestly I don't have your data -- but I see no reason why your code shouldn't run with my correction.
Did you try that?
I don't see any adding of intervals in your code.

Let me try to explain again: I have a file with schools and I know the number of students in the target population. I have everything neatly sorted and for sampling, I just need to give each school a chance poportional to the number of students in the target year in that school on getting selected, determinate a random starting point to make my first pick and add a constant interval.

In the loop with bal, I basically try to draw the 'winning numbers' by taking the constant (bal1) and adding the interval (3166.467), storing the new constant in bal2, bal3 ....bal15. The way I envisioned doing this was by running a loop for bal2-bal15, adding the interval to the value of the previous bal (the i-1th bal). Is there a way to do so?

I don't understand what you are trying to do. I comment only on obvious Stata problems.
`i-1' would only work if "i-1" were the name of a local macro, but it can't be such a name, as minus signs are not allowed in Stata names.
gen bal`i' = bal`=`i'-1' * 3166.467
would at first sight work as then Stata knows to evaluate the expression
`i' - 1
on the fly.
Your code largely consists of putting constants into variables, which is legal but not especially good style.
Note that
gen lotto=sum(studentsj3) //sum of target population
produces a _cumulative_ sum: only in the last observation will this be the actual sum, as your comment implies. Whether the comment or the code is what you want only you can say.