st: Comparing risk scores

From   K Jensen <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Comparing risk scores
Date   Tue, 18 Oct 2011 12:11:26 +0100

Maybe this is more of a stats question than a Stata one, but there are
such a lot of good brains here...

We are constructing point scores to indicate severity of risk  Death
is the outcome. What is the best way of measuring the usefulness of
the score?  The aim is to show a good gradient of risk.  Say the
results for two different scores were:

Score  Dead  Alive    %dead    Totals
0        12    136      9.9%      145
1        18    126     15.4%      144
2        18     62     26.2%       81
3        10      9     57.1%       20
4         2      0    100  %        3
-------------------------------------
Total:   60    333                393

Score  Dead  Alive    %dead    Totals
0         8    174      4.6%      182
1        21    143     12.8%      164
2        22     19     53.7%       41
3         5      1     83.3%        6
TOTAL:   60    333                393

Which is the better score?  What is the best way to measure its
predictive power?  I understand that ROC type analysis doesn't really
apply here.  Some measure of R-squared?  AIC?

Thankyou

Karin

PS) I have made up the data, so the numbers don't quite add up.  It is
meant to be two different, competing scores on the same people.