st: 'adjusted' poisson regression/ data organization?

From   "Hoffman, George" <ghoffman@mcw.edu>
Subject   st: 'adjusted' poisson regression/ data organization?
Date   Mon, 17 Oct 2011 12:13:31 -0500

I have on events data organized as counts per operator, and with an overall severity factor for the whole exposure cohort

Operator	#events	#exposures	severity
1		4		210		7.1
2		0		605		2.4
3		1		1012		5.6

I want to test the 'severity'-adjusted incidence of events by operator with a confidence interval for the estimate.

Do I have to expand my dataset to 'long' format to do this?
I tried poisson events i.operator#c.severity, expo(exposures)
But this did not converge; if I leave out the interaction I can't estimate the operator-specific severity-adjusted event rate.

I know this is basic for most people but I rarely work with this sort of dataset or counts.
Thank you in advance...
George Hoffman