Re: st: Generating unique values from unique and duplicate cases

From   "Alvarez,Sergio" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Generating unique values from unique and duplicate cases
Date   Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:35:23 -0400

Tim,

I don't know if this is what you need, but I know this will give you unique values for each value of 'dup':

sort dup id
by dup: gen new_id = _n

then if you sort by id I think you'll get the observation in the order you want.

hope it works,

Sergio