Re: st: how to index regressions inside a foreach loop in order to avoid writing over the estimates

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how to index regressions inside a foreach loop in order to avoid writing over the estimates
Date   Fri, 14 Oct 2011 09:44:32 +0100

I'd advise strongly against this for several reasons. Here are some of them.

1. This is mixing crude and subtle in a strange way. You have
subject-matter (perhaps theory-guided) thinking telling you that some
confounders deserve to be in the model, but otherwise it appears that
you are going to let significance tests do all the work of deciding
what else should be in the model or what is worth thinking about. Many
people do that, but many disapprove too.

2. Multiple tests at the same critical level have shifted your real
critical level in a way that is difficult to handle. This divides up
any field from people who don't care much to those who have a strong
belief that not confronting this is a major technical error. The
problem goes under different names in different literatures.

3. Your critical level is 0.95 now, was 0.1 in your first posting.
Although I guess the mention of 0.95 is just confusing significance
level and confidence level, this illustrates a major difficulty with
this approach: the threshold is arbitrary. You then have to argue with
both those who want a different threshold and those who don't believe
you should use just significance tests for your decision-making here.

4. A reviewer of your work is likely to have some favourite
variable(s) that they think should be tried out. If your story is
going to be "Oh yes, I tried that but it wasn't significant, so it's
not in the Table" that is not going to impress. Most reviewers want
access to all the results in principle; how much time they spend
scanning them is their capricious decision.

Note that #4 can bite you even if you discount #1, #2, #3.

Nick

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 4:46 AM, hind lazrak <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thank you for taking the time to respond to the question I posted.
>
> I made the example simpler in my post for more clarity.
>
> In the first step I ran the pwcorr, sig to capture the list of
> variables that I ran in the loop.
> In fact the simple linear regression does include three other
> variables that may act as either modifier or confounder. So I need to
> control for them.
>
> So this brings me back to the original question. Is there any way to
> get a table of coeffs that are statistically significant at the 95%
> level?

Richard Williams