st: RE: weight

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   st: RE: weight
Date   Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:24:22 +0100

Your instructions leave you with no observations with non-zero weights.

The condition -if indicator == 4- selects only those observations for which -indicator- is 4. Conversely, all observations with any other value of -indicator-, 10 or anything else not 4, will be excluded.

It follows that for those observations selected the expression -indicator == 10- will always be logically false and so numerically equal to 0 and so will the aweights be.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Abu Camara

I am tabulating using the following command but the variable
"indicator" whose code correspond to
for example "10" is my weight. So the command should use values of the
variable "value" that correspond to indicator==10  as my weight.
But I get no output and my output is in fact "no observation". Any
help would be appreciated.

**--command-----.
table  rda  year [aweight=indicator==10] if  indicator==4, c(mean  value) row

**-------sample data------------------.
id    country    indicator    year    region    ecog    oil    value
11990    Afghanistan    FDI Inflows in current USD millions    1990
ASIA-8    LDMC-25    Non-Oil-34
11990    Afghanistan    Net trade in goods and services (BoP, % of
GDP)    1990    ASIA-8    LDMC-25    Non-Oil-34
11990    Afghanistan    Revenue, excluding grants (% of GDP)    1990
 ASIA-8    LDMC-25    Non-Oil-34
11990    Afghanistan    External debt stocks, total (DOD, % of GDP)
1990    ASIA-8    LDMC-25    Non-Oil-34
11990    Afghanistan    ODA Commitments (All Donors), in current USD
millions    1990    ASIA-8    LDMC-25    Non-Oil-34    164.63
11990    Afghanistan    Net trade in goods and services (BoP, current
US$)    1990    ASIA-8    LDMC-25    Non-Oil-34
11990    Afghanistan    Cash surplus/deficit (% of GDP)    1990
ASIA-8    LDMC-25    Non-Oil-34