Re: st: Regression Discontinuity (RD) Designs, sharp discontinuity: basic question about implementation with "rd"

Subject   Re: st: Regression Discontinuity (RD) Designs, sharp discontinuity: basic question about implementation with "rd"
Date   Tue, 11 Oct 2011 21:53:23 -0400

Stefano Lombardi <[email protected]>:
Still not clear about which variables are real individual data and
which are means you have calculated. If nonedur is the individual
outcome variable and tenure is the assignment variable, and treatment
jumps discontinuously from zero to one at tenure=1094 (~36 mos), then
you should be using the two-variable syntax as elaborated in the Stata
Journal article linked from -rd-'s help file.  I find it hard to
believe that severance pay jumps from zero to one, though.  Perhaps
you simply don't have data on actual severance pay amounts?  The
binned scatterplot you seem to want can be constructed separately from
the rest, and added in:

egen m=mean(nonedur), by(ten_cat)
bys ten_cat: replace m=. if _n>1
g Z=tenure-1094
qui rd nonedur Z, mbw(100)
loc w=e(w)
loc o "graph mbw(100) sco(ms(i) xli(0)||sc m ten_cat) line(xti(Tenure
relative to cutoff))"
rd nonedur Z if inrange(tenure,950,1150), bwidth(`w') `o'

The above is similar to
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-11/msg00131.html
except I allow rd to calculate the IK optimal bandwidth using the whole sample
before "zooming in" on your desired window.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Stefano Lombardi
<[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]
> assumed to jump from zero to one at Z=0.
>
>  Assignment variable Z is Z
>  Treatment variable X_T unspecified
>  Outcome variable y is nonedur
>
> Estimating for bandwidth 14.14255035704279
> Estimating for bandwidth 7.071275178521395
> Estimating for bandwidth 28.28510071408558
>     nonedur |      Coef.   Std. Err.      z    P>|z|     [95% Conf.
> Interval]
> -------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
>       lwald |   30.76441     8.9709     3.43   0.001     13.18177
>  48.34705
>     lwald50 |   34.90172   14.25218     2.45   0.014     6.967965
>  62.83548
>    lwald200 |   23.17764   6.553702     3.54   0.000     10.33262
>  36.02265
>
> With bandwidth 7.1 and 14 the estmated effect is not precise, I would go for
> the third one. However, since I have many observations close to the cut-off,
> probably I could also restrict the window of the observations considered
> through the "n(real)" option. Is that sensible?
>
> Also, if I plot the graph though the option "gr" it is not informative: all
> the oservations are plotted (basically the entire graph is completely full
> of dots) and not the means of nonendur. Also, the X-axis range is the entire
> forcing variable range, but I just want a "zoom" near the cut-off (let's
> say, between 950 and 1150). I probably have to work with "scopt", but how
> exactly?
>
> Thank you very much!!
>
> Stefano
>

> Il 11/10/2011 19:43, Austin Nichols ha scritto:
>>
>> Stefano Lombardi<[email protected]>:
>> Apparently there is a problem in your data; if you give us information
>> about the actual data, maybe we can diagnose it.
>> Is ten_cat measured in days, so that it takes on a larger number of
>> discrete values, many of which are close to the threshold, or does it
>> take on a small number of discrete values?
>> Does sevpay take on one of two possible values, or is it more continuous?
>> What happens when you regress sevpay on z=(ten_cat-36) and a dummy for
>> z>=0 (ten_cat>=36), and their interaction?
>> What happens when you type
>> g z=ten_cat-36
>> rd nonedur z, bdep
>> ?
>> The bandwidth calculations assume the data far from the cutoff have
>> NOT "already been manually eliminated" as you have done, so you may
>> want to clarify how you want to estimate the optimal bandwidth.
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Stefano Lombardi
>> <[email protected]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Ariel,
>>>
>>> thank you very much for your interest. You got the correct interpretation
>>> for X and the cut-off as well.
>>>
>>> With respect to the treatment ("severance payment"), I wrote a bit
>>> confusingly. The "job tenure" variable is sharply discontinuos at month
>>> 36,
>>> in the sense that if a person is laid off after having worked for 13 or
>>> or ... 35 months in the same place, he is not going to receive any sort