st: RE: xtivreg2, clustered errors and F statistic

Subject   st: RE: xtivreg2, clustered errors and F statistic
Date   Wed, 12 Oct 2011 00:37:29 +0100

Anna,

Here are the counts from your estimation without controls:

Number of clusters             N_clust  =         16
Number of observations               N  =        176
Number of regressors                 K  =         11
Number of endogenous regressors      K1 =          1
Number of instruments                L  =        100
Number of excluded instruments       L1 =          0

Things are going very badly wrong, and you may in fact have found a bug
in xtivreg2 or ivreg2 - you somehow have 1 endogenous regressor but no
excluded instruments!  Please send me privately your full output of this
specification and I will try to trace what happened.

But you are unlikely to get sensible results with a setup like this in
any case.  You have 176 observations, 100 instruments and 1 endogenous
variable, so the degree of overidentification is very high compared to
the sample size.  The finite-sample bias of the IV estimator is
increasing in the degree of overidentification, so your estimated
coefficient is likely to be badly biased.  And that's not even
considering the problem that you have only 16 clusters.  For the
cluster-robust VCV to be consistent, the number of clusters has to go
off to infinity, and 16 isn't very far on the way to infinity.  Also, as
you note, you cannot test for weak or underidentification, because the
rank of the first-stage VCV will be only 16, so you can't test the joint
significance of the 100 instruments in the first-stage regression.

--Mark

> [...]
> Anderson-Rubin Wald test           Chi-sq(0)=         .
> P-val=     .
> Stock-Wright LM S statistic        Chi-sq(0)=         .
> P-val=     .

> Number of clusters             N_clust  =         16
> Number of observations               N  =        176
> Number of regressors                 K  =         11
> Number of endogenous regressors      K1 =          1
> Number of instruments                L  =        100
> Number of excluded instruments       L1 =          0
> --------------
> --------------
> And this is the command and output with extra controls:

> --------------
> --------------
> xi: xtivreg2 netpay  public pop age sex shar_ed2 shar_ed3 (share_reg =
> GWmean40_UK_* GWmean40_USA_* GWmean40_DE_* mean2004_40_UK_*
> mean2004_40_USA_* mean2004_40_DE_*) i.year if year>=1997&year<=2007,fe
> cluster(won) first

> F test of excluded instruments:
>   F( 90,    15) =    14.73
>   Prob > F      =   0.0000
> Angrist-Pischke multivariate F test of excluded instruments:
>   F( 90,    15) =    14.73
>   Prob > F      =   0.0000
>
> Summary results for first-stage regressions
>
>                                            (Underid)
>   (Weak id)
> Variable     | F( 90,    15)  P-val | AP Chi-sq( 90) P-val | AP F( 90,
> 15)
> share_reg    |      14.73    0.0000 |     3535.83   0.0000 |
>      14.73
>
> NB: first-stage test statistics cluster-robust

> Underidentification test
> Ho: matrix of reduced form coefficients has rank=K1-1
> (underidentified)
> Ha: matrix has rank=K1 (identified)
> Kleibergen-Paap rk LM statistic          Chi-sq(90)=.
> P-val=     .
>
> Weak identification test
> Ho: equation is weakly identified
> Cragg-Donald Wald F statistic
>       2.53
> Kleibergen-Paap Wald rk F statistic
>          .

> Weak-instrument-robust inference
> Tests of joint significance of endogenous regressors B1 in
> main equation
> Ho: B1=0 and orthogonality conditions are valid
> Anderson-Rubin Wald test           F(6,15)=       16.04
> P-val=0.0000
> Anderson-Rubin Wald test           Chi-sq(6)=    256.57
> P-val=0.0000
> Stock-Wright LM S statistic        Chi-sq(6)=         .
> P-val=     .
>
> NB: Underidentification, weak identification and
> weak-identification-robust
>     test statistics cluster-robust
>
> Number of clusters             N_clust  =         16
> Number of observations               N  =        176
> Number of regressors                 K  =         17
> Number of endogenous regressors      K1 =          1
> Number of instruments                L  =        106
> Number of excluded instruments       L1 =          6

registered under charity number SC000278.

Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012