Re: st: Stat Transfer Question

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: Stat Transfer Question
Date   Tue, 11 Oct 2011 13:25:59 -0500

At 11:29 AM 10/11/2011, Jacob Robbins wrote:
Dear All,

I have recently downloaded some SPSS data files from the ICPSR and
would like to convert them to .dta using Stat/Transfer. For every one
dataset there are two files of the following form;

From what I have learned online, the .sps file is a "SPSS Syntax File"
which is used to interpret the data.txt file in SPSS. However, I do
not have a copy of SPSS, only a copy of Stat/Transfer. Is there a way
to convert the files to .dta?

Jake Robbins
Research Assistant
Harvard School of Public Health

Personally, I would look for a public lab or a kindly colleague that had SPSS. Surely somebody at Harvard has SPSS!

Second, are you sure you didn't overlook an option to download in some other format, e.g. an SPSS portable file or, better yet, a Stata file?

Third, if really desperate the ICPSR people might be willing and able to help you. See

For other info, see the ICPSR Data FAQ at

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu