Re: st: Bug in stsplit and stptime - or me ?

From (Yulia Marchenko, StataCorp LP)
Subject   Re: st: Bug in stsplit and stptime - or me ?
Date   Mon, 10 Oct 2011 14:15:18 -0500

Jesper Lindhardsen <> used -stset- to set his
data, issued some -st- commands, and then changed the -st- settings by
using -stset- again.  That would be fine except that, in the second
-stset- command, Jesper used system variables created by the previous
-stset- command such as _t, _t0, _d, etc.

You must not do that.  You can re-stset if you wish, but you must not
use variables _t, _t0, _d, etc.  We will modify -stset- to issue an
error message when system variables are used.

As a side note, Jesper used the -enter()- and -origin()- options
interchangeably in his code.  Although in his example it led to the
same results, this will not be true in general.  It is important to
remember that the -origin()- option specifies the onset of risk of
subjects and, thus, redefines the analysis time.  The -enter()- option
specifies when subjects enter a study which may be after they have
already been at risk of a failure.  The distinction between these
options is crucial for correct declaration of your survival data.

-- Yulia