st: RE: relative survival

From   Tim Evans <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: relative survival
Date   Mon, 10 Oct 2011 09:27:24 +0100

Hi Enzo,

Thanks for the further clarification! Wasn't aware of the Pohar-Perme net survival estimator being implemented in strs, I can take a look now!

Best wishes

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Enzo Coviello
Sent: 08 October 2011 11:39
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: relative survival

Hi all,

Let me add some more information on the relative survival in Stata:

    The method that -strel- and other similar programmes use for
    calculating crude or observed survival is the actuarial (life table)
    method. You don't necessarily need to read a specific Stata book as
    this is implemented in other stats packages and the methods behind
    it are well know. You should be able to get the same crude survival
    using -ltable- in Stata, with your code it would be this:

-strel-, as far as I know, should use a maximum likelihood approach for estimating the relative survival, i.e. (observed surv) / (expected surv).

-strs- implements a life table approach for estimating the same function. The observed survival computed by -strs- is identical to that computed by -ltable-.

What -strel- names as -crude survival- should be the observed surv computed as back transformation of the cumulative hazard. As far as I know -strel- does not compute the crude probability (cumulative incidence) of death whereas -strs- does compute this function by implementing the method described by Cronin and Feuer (Stat in Med 2000)

I would also note that in the last updated version -strs- adds the opportunity to estimate the Pohar-Perme net survival estimator, a true important innovation in the population survival analysis (Pohar-Perme Biometrics 2011).

Best wishes

Enzo

--
Enzo Coviello
Epidemiology Unit - Cancer Registry ASL BT

_DISCLAIMER:
This email and any attachments hereto contains proprietary information, some or all of which may be confidential or legally privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail and you are not the intended recipient(s), please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail or any attachments, as this may be unlawful.