re:Re: st: Regression Discontinuity Design

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re:Re: st: Regression Discontinuity Design
Date   Sun, 9 Oct 2011 12:23:55 -0400

First off, I apologize that my initial response was more-or-less the same as
Austin's. I get the digest, so my responses are always a day "after the
fact".

On the other hand, Austin and I both had identical concerns, so that should
give you some comfort (at least it does for me) :-)

A couple of additional points:

Austin is correct in suggesting that if your reviewers are concerned with
the impact of "unobservables", you may want to consider the IV approach.
However, the main problem with the IV approach (at least in my opinion), is
actually finding a good IV. Austin suggested the "distance to clinic", which
may be a good IV if you have it. Under this approach, you may have
sufficient sample size if the unit of measure is the individual. You'd have
to test other potential IVs accordingly...

My initial suggested approach using a multi-level approach was to allow for
clustering at the various levels. However, this will not adjust for
unobservables, and so the reviewers' concerns are not addressed.

Propensity score matching (or weighting) would only ensure balance on
observables, and so the reviewers' concerns about the confounding trend in
income, etc. remains a viable threat to validity.

Perhaps a viable alternative approach would be to model the data
longitudinally as either a time series (at the community level), or
longitudinally using individual level data. I am not clear what your data
look like, but if you have multiple time points, you could perhaps account
for the differing "trends" you spoke of.

Good luck!

Ariel