st:how to delete anything in the bracket for a string variable

From   Amanda Fu <mandy.fu1@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st:how to delete anything in the bracket for a string variable
Date   Sun, 9 Oct 2011 00:17:10 -0400

Hi All,

I wonder if someone can give me some suggestion on delete anything in
the bracket for a string variable. A string variable in my data set
has some notes in bracket for part of the observations. I want to
remove the brackets and anything in them

An example is like:
-------------------------
id        name
1         John (joined before 2005)
2         Jenny
3         Kai (joined in 2006; left in 2008)
4         Tom (inconsistent dates)
I would like to delete anything in the () for the variable "name" so
that only names are kept. But the content in the brackets are not the
same. I think that causes the -substr- does not work for this purpose.

Thank you !

Best wishes,
Amanda Fu