Re: st: dates

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: dates
Date   Fri, 7 Oct 2011 19:44:07 +0100

Intelligent support for run-together dates was added in Stata 10. (For
Stata 8 and 9. -todate- (SSC) is a work-around.)

If such dates are numeric, then a conversion can be used like

. di date(string(20080105, "%12.0f"), "YMD")

Your splitting, back transforming and recombining are then all
unnecessary. The format argument is needed because otherwise the
-string()- conversion will change the large integer to a power of 10.

. di string(20080105)