Re: st: Regression Discontinuity Design

Subject   Re: st: Regression Discontinuity Design
Date   Fri, 7 Oct 2011 13:42:48 -0400

Nyasha Tirivayi <[email protected]>
I said in my first reply: "There are IV methods one might use,
perhaps based on distance to clinic...." We would also need to know every
bit of information in your data, and what other data might be matched onto it,
to tell you what can be done.  Perhaps the best approach is to recruit
a coauthor who can help you brainstorm another method.

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Nyasha Tirivayi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Austin
>
> I mean baseline employment rates (obtained retrospectively) are higher
> for control individuals than for treated individuals. What we were
> told by the program staff was that community selection was done based
> on HIV rates of above 22%. But as you can see, one treated community
> is below 22% and one control community is above 22%.
>
> If I cannot use RDD, what other methods can I use instead of
> propensity score matching? My outcome is labour supply measured as
> weekly hours, cross sectional data.
>
> May you kindly advise
>
> Nyasha Tirivayi
> Maastricht University
> Netherlands
>

> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Austin Nichols <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Nyasha Tirivayi <[email protected]> :
>> What do you mean, "baseline labour supply rates for the treated sample
>> (68%) are lower than from the control group (57%)"
>>
>> fwiw, I see no evidence of a discontinuity:
>>
>> clear
>> input T Community N HIVrate
>> 1   1    103     22.5
>> 1   2    120     22.6
>> 1   3    122     22.5
>> 1   4    129     20.3
>> 0   5    124     18.5
>> 0   6    140     20.4
>> 0   7    126     18.5
>> 0   8    138     23.9
>> end
>> sc T HIVrate [aw=N]
>>

>> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Nyasha Tirivayi <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Hi Austin
>>>
>>> Thank you so much for the response. I am trying to estimate the impact
>>> of a social program on intrahousehold labour supply. Hence I have
>>> labour supply data at individual level. In total I have 474
>>> individuals from 200 treated households (residing in 4 treated
>>> communities) and 532 individuals from 200 control households (residing
>>> in 4 control communities).
>>>
>>> I had initially done propensity score matching. However baseline
>>> labour supply rates for the treated sample (68%) are lower than from
>>> the control group (57%). Once comment I have received is that the
>>> possibility of differential trends in labor market outcomes across
>>> program and non-program communities implies that any observed
>>> differences are not reliable measures of the effects of the food
>>> program.   Hence journal reviewers are concerned about the possibility
>>> of unobservables and suggested a regression discontinuity approach (if
>>> possible) or within community estimates.
>>>
>>> CommunityHouseholdsAdult Individuals    Community HIV rate
>>> Treated
>>> 1       50      103     22.5
>>> 2       50      120     22.6
>>> 3       50      122     22.5