Re: st: Re: Problem with -graph bar- and yscale(log) option

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Problem with -graph bar- and yscale(log) option
Date   Wed, 5 Oct 2011 15:37:26 +0200

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Aleksander Rutkowski wrote:
> I am using Stata/SE 11.2 on Windows. I have noticed that using -graph
> bar- with yscale(log) option produces very bad results: bars of equal
> height with unreadable y-axis labels (overlaid at the same point). As
> an illustration:
> sysuse auto
> graph bar (mean) trunk, over(foreign) yscale(log)
> Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Such bar graphs by default include 0 on the y-axis, which makes sense
for such graphs but does not have an equivalent on a log-scale leading
to the problem you noticed. You can avoid 0 by adding the -exclude0-
option, but now it is up to you to decide whether that graph still
makes sense.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie