Re: st: RE: to suppress non significant coefficient

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: to suppress non significant coefficient
Date   Tue, 04 Oct 2011 12:25:12 -0500

At 11:01 AM 10/4/2011, Jörg Eulenberger wrote:

A good point. Thanks for your suggestion.

Am 04.10.2011 15:28, schrieb Nick Cox:
> Even if you feel it makes sense, how do you know all your readers will agree?

I agree that dropping insignificant coefficients is a dubious idea. Having said that, esttab does have a drop option that lets you manually specify coefficients to drop. I think the drop option makes more sense when, say, you are suppressing all the coefficients for the control variables, as is apparently the custom in some fields.

In general, I would say that if you don't think the insignificant coefficients should be shown, then you ought to re-estimate the model with those variables dropped. Otherwise your results can be misleading.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu