RE: st: exploratory data analysis for finding substitutes and complements

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: exploratory data analysis for finding substitutes and complements
Date   Fri, 30 Sep 2011 13:11:16 -0400

Hi Dimitriy,
This type of analysis might be a bit dicey without basket data (record per customer with a transaction date, along with items purchased), but I don't imagine ecological data is completely prohibitive, either -- this is discussed in the Nestorov and Jukić (2003) paper below. I don't know about Stata specifically...
Hahsler, M., Buchta, C., Gruen, B., & Hornik, K. (September 19, 2011). Mining Association Rules and Frequent Itemsets: Package 'arules', Version 1.0-6.http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/arules/arules.pdf http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/arules/index.htmlhttp://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/arules/vignettes/arules.pdf
Hahsler, M., Chelluboina, S. Hornik, K., & Buchta, C. (2011). The arules R-Package Ecosystem: Analyzing Interesting Patterns from Large Transaction Data Sets. Journal of Machine Learning Research, 12, 2021-2025.http://jmlr.csail.mit.edu/papers/volume12/hahsler11a/hahsler11a.pdf
Zhang, S., & Wu, X. (2011). Fundamentals of association rules in data mining and knowledge discovery. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, 1(2), 97-116.http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/widm.10/pdf ;
Ben Messaoud, R., Loudcher Rabaséda, S. Missaoui, R. & Boussaid, O. (2008). OLEMAR: an On-Line Environment for Mining Association Rules in Multidimensional Data. In D. Taniar, (Ed.), Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery Technologies (pp. 1-35). IGI Global, 2008.http://eric.univ-lyon2.fr/~sabine/adwm_2007.pdf
Khan, A., Baharudin, B., & Khan, K. (2011). Mining customer data for decision-making using new hybrid classification algorithm. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology, 27(1), 54-61. http://www.jatit.org/volumes/research-papers/Vol27No1/7Vol27No1.pdf
Nestorov, S., & Jukić, N. (2003). Ad-Hoc Association-Rule Mining within the Data Warehouse. Proceedings of the 36th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS'03) - Track 8 - Volume 8. Washington, DC, USA: IEEE Computer Society.
Cam