st: MI mvn with categorical data

From   Andrea Bennett <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: MI mvn with categorical data
Date   Fri, 30 Sep 2011 14:49:05 +0200

Dear Statalisters

I am working with Stata's <mi> command and try to impute missing data with <mi impute mvn>. A bunch of variables are categorical (some nominal, some ordered). There is a procedure described in Allison(2002) or also Enders (2010) where it is suggested that one creates dummies for all categories of a variable, except a baseline category, imputes the values, and then calculates the missing baseline value by: baseline=1 - category1 - category2 - category4 (for the case of a variable with four categories). The category dummy with the highest probability value is then coded as 1, the rest as zero.

I see no mistakes on my side with regard to putting the dummies back into a single variable. That all looks exactly as it should. Yet, as soon as the data is updated, some observations of the imputed data gets deleted, leaving me only with the original missing observation for that record.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed,

Andrea