st: RE: problems combining xtivreg and xtoverid or using xtivreg2 with random effects estimation

From   "Schaffer, Mark E" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: problems combining xtivreg and xtoverid or using xtivreg2 with random effects estimation
Date   Thu, 29 Sep 2011 16:24:25 +0100

The "omitted variable problem" is as described in the post you link to:
"-xtoverid- was written before Stata introduced the omitted variable
operator "o".  Variables are being dropped from your estimation and
being reported as such with an "o." in front of them, and -xtoverid-
doesn't understand this."

>  Even if I drop all omitted variables xtoverid doesn't work.

But this is peculiar.  If you estimate using -xtivreg- but exclude all
the variables that Stata is dropping, -xtoverid- should now work.

Can you show us the output of -xtivreg- with the variables omitted?

There's one other idea that comes to mind, namely version control.  "o."
was introduced in Stata 11, if I recall.  It's possible that if you
precede your -xtivreg- estimation with the line

version 10

-xtivreg- will not report using "o." for omitted variables, and the
subsequent call to -xtoverid- may then work.  The -version- statement
will need to be in a do file along with the subsequent -xivreg- call.