RE: st: colouring options of serrbar

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   RE: st: colouring options of serrbar
Date   Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:58:43 +0100

For completeness note that a || is missing in the last example.

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: 28 September 2011 21:27
Subject: Re: st: colouring options of serrbar

-serrbar- is really only a token command for plotting error bars. (I
am rather generously credited in at least some versions of the manual
with some responsibility for it only because I suggested some
extensions a long time ago, but it was born an official command and
remains one.)

It's better to back-track to the premise that you have

For simplicity, suppose that you want your bars to go from mvar - 1 *
svar to mvar + 1 * svar. In your real problem you can generalise that
multiplier of 1 to what you want (even a variable).

Then first calculate

gen lvar = mvar - svar
gen uvar = mvar + svar

Now you can go

twoway scatter mvar xvar || rcap lvar uvar xvar

Now you can extend this however you want

twoway scatter mvar xvar if group == 1, ms(pink) || rcap lvar uvar
xvar if group == 1, lc(pink)
            scatter mvar xvar if group == 2, ms(blue) || rcap lvar
uvar xvar if group == 2, lc(blue)

and so on. In practice, put this code in the do-file editor, use lots
of lines and /// to connect lines.

-search statsby- for another useful approach and an article on that.