Re: st: _00001 already define error using egen xx=group()

From   Barry Quinn <>
To   "statlist (" <>
Subject   Re: st: _00001 already define error using egen xx=group()
Date   Thu, 29 Sep 2011 11:24:48 +0100

Thanks for swift response to this and apologies for late reply.

Firstly I am using Stata 11.2 which is up to date.

Thanks for the work around for my problem
 Your test using auto data doesn't produce the above error.
Here are the results from the command you mentioned.
. su insample oneyear

    Variable |       Obs        Mean    Std. Dev.       Min        Max
    insample |      1525    .6557377     .475283          0          1
     oneyear |      1525    .4754098    .4995588          0          1

Thanks for your work around, which does work.
The problem being that I have estimated average treatment effects for 8 outcome variables across 10 different samples.
Which unfortunately gives me 80 datasets to first and second call in stata.

I agree with Nick that this is a worrying problem and I have also tested it on an older version of stata (11.1) with the same result.

Budgeting constraints mean I cannot get my school to purchase stata 12 licences at present.

Barry Quinn
Lecturer in Finance

Queens University Belfast              Tel: 028 9097 4824
Riddel Hall
185 Stramillis Road
Northern Ireland
BT9 5EE