Re: st: Hodrick-Prescott Filter

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Hodrick-Prescott Filter
Date   Wed, 28 Sep 2011 20:27:27 +0100

-hprescott- is a user-written command (Kit Baum, SSC). Please remember
the request to explain where user-written commands you refer to come
from.

Looking at the first few lines of the code shows that -hprescott-
follows a standard Stata approach with the early issue of a command

marksample touse

That -marksample- command looks at the `varlist' macro defined by an
earlier -syntax- command which will contain precisely the variables
you specified so long as they are -ts- and defines a temporary
variable `touse' which is 1 for observations selected and 0 otherwise.
Observations are selected only if they are non-missing on all
variables in the `varlist'. (-if- and -in- restrictions might further
narrow the selection, not the issue here.)  Subsequent analysis is
then -if `touse'-  (parse `touse' as a Stata conventional name meaning
"to use").

So, yes, if one beginning later means missing values for that variable
and those years, then only observations with non-missing values on all
variables in varlist are used, with the consequences you describe.

Nick