RE: st: interaction dummy or separate regression

From   "Khieu, Hinh" <Hdkhieu@usi.edu>
Subject   RE: st: interaction dummy or separate regression
Date   Wed, 28 Sep 2011 12:19:42 -0500

Austin,
Thank you very much for your note. I have a feeling it is not right, but not what is not right and you answered it. So, to test whether debt or equity is used to finance abnormal Y, there are only two ways:
1. put abnormal Y as dependent variable and drop all dummy and interaction terms
2. still keep Chg in Y as dependent variable but run one regression based on Abnormal Y observations alone and another regression based on Other Y.
I wonder if you can do me a favor by commenting my two solutions above.
Thank you very much.
Regards,
Hinh

From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Austin Nichols [austinnichols@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:11 PM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: st: interaction dummy or separate regression

Khieu, Hinh <Hdkhieu@usi.edu> :
You are not going to get unbiased estimates of any of those coefs, if
that's what you mean.  You are not allowed to select on Y, nor include
a transformation of it as a regressor, and I strongly recommend you
explore what you are estimating using a simulation on generated data
where you know the true effects (a1, a2, etc.).  You are allowed to
select on an exogenous X variable, but not on "abnormal" Y.