Re: st: weights in pooled repeated cross sections

From   Fernando Rios Avila <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: weights in pooled repeated cross sections
Date   Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:47:03 -0400

Steve
I understand. Thanks for the advice and clarification.
Fernando

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Steven Samuels <[email protected]> wrote:

> Fernando-
>
> If, say, 90 PSUs repeated over four years, an analysis which ignored this would count them as 360 PSUs. The consequence would be standard errors and p-values that are too small.
>
> By the way, I have ignored this issue in past posts to Statalist,  which recommended that "years" could (always) be crossed with the original strata to form new super-strata.  I apologize for this incorrect advice.
>
> Steve
>

> On Sep 27, 2011, at 4:37 PM, Fernando Rios Avila wrote:
>
> Hi Steven,
> Since it seems you have experience with this kind of data, i wonder if
> you know if there is any particular consequence of pooling and using
> the weights as you mention when each individual survey is not
> statistically independent from each other, meaning that some Primary
> sample units may appear more than once through the different surveys,
> while others wont.
> Thanks!
>
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
>> PSUs are primary survey units.
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Steven Samuels <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> 1. Pool
>>> 2. Divide weights by four (would affect only totals, but still a good idea)
>>> 3. -svyset- the whole thing.
>>>

>>> Steve
>>>
>>> On Sep 27, 2011, at 10:40 AM, Ivica Rubil wrote:
>>>
>>> so, you're saying I just pool the 4 datasets, divide the weights by 4,
>>> and apply -svyset- to the pooled dataset? Or should I rather use
>>> -svyset- for each of the 4 datasets, pool them in one, and then divide
>>> the weights by 4?
>>> Further, sorry for bothering you: what are PSUs? How do I check if they
>>> change form year to year?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ivica Rubil
>>> Ekonomski institut / The Institute of Economics, Zagreb
>>> Trg J. F. Kennedyja 7, 10 000 Zagreb, Croatia
>>> tel. +385-1-2362-269
>>> fax. +385-1-2335-165
>>> [email protected]
>>> www.eizg.hr

>>> [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Steven