Re: st: test of significant between coefficients

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: test of significant between coefficients
Date   Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:35:47 +0100

Richard's answer overlaps with mine, which is fine.

I want to underline the idea that often coefficients should be thought
as being bundled together. For example, if a cosine term is included
in a model a sine term should be too. Leaving out one or the other can
omit some useful information about phase even if one coefficient is
not significant. A more widely familiar example is a set of
indicators. Degrading them so that all are significant just coarsens a
model.

Come to think of it, we've have had this discussion before. Just
search for "Richard Williams" in the Statalist archives.

Nick