st: curious problem with 2 sample smirnov test

From   Anjanette Chan Tack <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: curious problem with 2 sample smirnov test
Date   Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:42:17 -0500 (CDT)

Hi -

I am running a 2 sample smirnov test that tests for equality of distributions on an outcome for white and non-white majority neighborhoods at 5 different poverty levels. The test works smoothly for all but one poverty level, at which point, I get an error message saying: "majw7 takes on 0 values, not 2". When I click for more info, it says:

"Return code 450 __________ is not a 0/1 variable;      number of successes invalid; p invalid; __________ takes on __________ values, not 2; You have used a command, such as bitest, that requires the variable take on only the values 0, 1, or missing, but the variable you specified does not meet that restriction.  (You can also get this message from, for example, bitesti, when you specify a number of successes greater than the number of observations or a probability not between 0 and 1.)"

What is curious about this message is that it rejects my group variable "majw7" as a 0/1 variable at this poverty level, although it had no problem with "majw7" at the other poverty levels. If someone can suggest what might be going on and how I can work around this, I'd be grateful. For more info, see below:

Example of commands that worked:
ksmirnov LgAllSt7 if povrat7 >= 80 & povrat7 <= 100, by(majw7)

The command that did not work:
ksmirnov LgAllSt0 if povrat0 >= 0 & povrat0 < 20, by(majw0)

I am wondering if the problem may be the limited number of cases I have at this poverty level. The crosstabs below show the distribution of neighborhoods (white majority = 1, and non-white majority = 0) across different poverty levels (e.g. 20 means 0 to 20%, etc)

 poverty |
    rate,5 |
   ordinal | White maj neighb = 1
    groups |         0          1 |     Total
        20 |       154        467 |       621
        40 |       154         26 |       180
        60 |        37          3 |        40
        80 |         3          1 |         4
     Total |       348        497 |       845

Thank you for your advice.

Sincerely
AM. Chan Tack