st: destring command

From   Abu Camara <abucamara@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: destring command
Date   Sat, 24 Sep 2011 11:30:32 +0300

Dear Statalist,

I am trying the following command to destring variables in the
IMF weo data just released. I imported it to Stata but all variables
become string.
When I use Stata's destring command, values that are negative becomes
positive,i.e  lose the negative sign.
Any help would be appreciated. A loop to do this task at once will
also be appreciated.

Command: destring v13, gen(yr1983) ignore(, n/a -- )

--
Best Wishes,

Abu Camara