Bookmark and Share

Notice: On March 31, it was announced that Statalist is moving from an email list to a forum. The old list will shut down on April 23, and its replacement, statalist.org is already up and running.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: st: problem with graph mspline, scheme(s2mono) (bug??)


From   Ricardo Ovaldia <ovaldia@yahoo.com>
To   "statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu" <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: problem with graph mspline, scheme(s2mono) (bug??)
Date   Fri, 23 Sep 2011 16:43:03 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you Nick. By default, in Stata, monochromatic plots are suppose to use different symbols and line styles so that you can tell the lines apart. But this does not occur when -mspline- is used. If this not a bug, then it is a feature that does not make sense.

Not that I feel like I have to explain, but the reason I do not like the solution is because I have  a fairly complicated program that generates many graphs. I will have to add several lines of code to different sections to deal with this issue.

Ricardo
 
Ricardo Ovaldia, MS
Statistician 
Oklahoma City, OK


----- Original Message -----
From: Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Cc: 
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 2:15 PM
Subject: Re: st: problem with graph mspline, scheme(s2mono) (bug??)

As you say, you can solve this problem with

graph twoway (mspline  weight length if  foreign==0, lp(solid))
(mspline  weight length if  foreign==1, lp(dash)), scheme(s2mono)

but it is not clear why you don't like that solution. I don't know
another solution. I wouldn't call this a bug, but you are at liberty
to describe it as a bug from a user's point of view.

Nick

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Ricardo Ovaldia <ovaldia@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> I am ploting several curves using msplines with options -scheme(s2mono)- and also -scheme(sj)-.
> However, neither one seems to give me different line types wheh plotting more than one line per graph. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
>
> Here is a simple example with the auto data:
>
>  sysuse auto, clear
> . graph twoway (lfit  weight length if  foreign==0)  (lfit  weight length if  foreign==1), scheme(s2mono)
>
> < this produces a graph with two line, one solid and another "dashed".
>
> . graph twoway (mspline  weight length if  foreign==0)  (mspline  weight length if  foreign==1), scheme(s2mono)
>
> < this also produces a graph with two line, but theya re both solid .
>
> I know that I can use -lpattern()-, but I rather not have to do that.

*
*   For searches and help try:
*  http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?searchhttp://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faqhttp://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/


*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/


© Copyright 1996–2014 StataCorp LP   |   Terms of use   |   Privacy   |   Contact us   |   Site index