Re: st: reading dataset if (Away)

From   "Seyi Soremekun" <Seyi.Soremekun@lshtm.ac.uk>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: reading dataset if (Away)
Date   Wed, 21 Sep 2011 23:12:57 +0100

I am away from the 21st September until the 12th October. Please direct any urgent enquiries to Linda Vesel (linda.vesel@lshtm.ac.uk).
Seyi

>>> Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com> 09/21/11 23:12 >>>

You are reaching towards some kind of regular expression test but ==
is a test for equality.

use dataset.dta if inlist(substr(diagp,1,1), "I", "J")

use dataset.dta if substr(diagp,1,1) == "I" | substr(diagp,1,1) == "J"

Regular expressions are also possible here:

. di regexm("Janvier", "^[IJ]")
1

. di regexm("jeunesse", "^[IJ]")
0

. di regexm("Jeunesse", "^[IJ]")
1

use dataset.dta if regexm(diagp, "^[IJ]")