RE: st: RE: xtscc and small samples (equal size T and N)

Subject   RE: st: RE: xtscc and small samples (equal size T and N)
Date   Tue, 20 Sep 2011 11:56:02 +0100

Christina,

Here's one way to think about the cross-sectional dependence issue.

Say you start with simple pooled OLS.  With panel data, you've got reason to think that this is ignoring time-series dependence.  A simple form of time-series dependence is an unobserved effect that is invariant over time (t) and is shared by all the observations in a cross-section group i.  Cross-section fixed effects, i.e., cross-sectional group dummies for each i, address this problem.

Cross-sectional dependence and time dummies are basically the same thing; just swap around the terminology.  You've got reason to think you are ignoring cross-sectional dependence.  A simple form of cross-sectional dependence is an unobserved effect that is invariant across the cross-sections (i) and is shared by all the observations in a time period t.  Time fixed effects, i.e., time dummies for each t, address this problem.

In both cases, you're addressing the problem by assuming a pretty simple form of the dependence.  If you're right, or close, fine.  If there are still forms of time-series or cross-sectional dependence, you'll still have problems.  But with a panel of only 11x11, there is not much room for maneuver.

As for the minimum N or T for asymptotics, that's a question that depends on the estimator, the characteristics of the data, etc. etc.  Sometimes things converge so slowly that thousands of observations aren't "enough" (the example I'm thinking of is weak identification).  On the other hand, sometimes in the time-series world you're lucky enough to have super-consistency, where the order of convergence is O(T), faster than the usual O(sqrt(T)).  But I think the reaction of most people is that 11 isn't going to convince them.

HTH,
Mark