RE: st: String variables over 244 in a dataset with two delimiters

From   "Ozimek, Adam" <Ozimek@econsult.com>
Subject   RE: st: String variables over 244 in a dataset with two delimiters
Date   Mon, 19 Sep 2011 12:29:14 -0400

Ronan,

I believe all versions of Stata have the 244 length limit for a string. Also, for my purposes I need to be able to do the entire thing within Stata, so I can't use a spreadsheet editor.

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Ronan Conroy
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2011 10:30 AM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: st: String variables over 244 in a dataset with two delimiters

You may have to invest in Stata/SE. See -help limits-

That said, you might copy the column from a spreadsheet editor and paste it into a separate text file, then read up the variable with a semicolon delimiter as a series of variables, then merge with your dataset.

Why do people do this to us???

On 2011 MFómh 19, at 12:46, Ozimek, Adam wrote:

> Statalisters,
>
> I have a dataset that is tab delimited, and one of the variables is a string that can be over 244 characters. If I read this using insheet, or inputst, or I think anything else, it truncates this variable. However, there is an aspect of the string variable that I hope will let me get around this: it is delimited by semicolon. Is there a way to select one of the columns in a tab delimited dataset, and read in by parsing it as semi-colon delimited? Is there some otherway to rescue the long variable without the truncation?

Ronán Conroy
rconroy@rcsi.ie
Associate Professor
Division of Population Health Sciences