Re: st: String variables over 244 in a dataset with two delimiters

From   Ronan Conroy <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: String variables over 244 in a dataset with two delimiters
Date   Mon, 19 Sep 2011 15:30:25 +0100

You may have to invest in Stata/SE. See -help limits-

That said, you might copy the column from a spreadsheet editor and paste it into a separate text file, then read up the variable with a semicolon delimiter as a series of variables, then merge with your dataset.

Why do people do this to us???

On 2011 MFómh 19, at 12:46, Ozimek, Adam wrote:

> Statalisters,
> I have a dataset that is tab delimited, and one of the variables is a string that can be over 244 characters. If I read this using insheet, or inputst, or I think anything else, it truncates this variable. However, there is an aspect of the string variable that I hope will let me get around this: it is delimited by semicolon. Is there a way to select one of the columns in a tab delimited dataset, and read in by parsing it as semi-colon delimited? Is there some otherway to rescue the long variable without the truncation?

Ronán Conroy
Associate Professor
Division of Population Health Sciences
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland