st: String variables over 244 in a dataset with two delimiters

From   "Ozimek, Adam" <Ozimek@econsult.com>
Subject   st: String variables over 244 in a dataset with two delimiters
Date   Mon, 19 Sep 2011 07:46:00 -0400

Statalisters,

I have a dataset that is tab delimited, and one of the variables is a string that can be over 244 characters. If I read this using insheet, or inputst, or I think anything else, it truncates this variable. However, there is an aspect of the string variable that I hope will let me get around this: it is delimited by semicolon. Is there a way to select one of the columns in a tab delimited dataset, and read in by parsing it as semi-colon delimited? Is there some otherway to rescue the long variable without the truncation?

Thanks,

Adam